Friday, August 9, 2013

Rafting in July

This has been another busy summer with little leisure time.  Back in July, two days before the Fourth, Todd and I met up with Leslie and rafted the Main Payette.  This, unfortunately, has been the only trip I have oared this summer.  It was a fantastic trip.  Flows were at a good level, hovering about 4100 c.f.s..  Leslie and I shared time at the oars and Todd kayaked.  Sunny fun day.


Henry is in the raft too.  He is crunched down in the back.  You can see a little bit of his back end in the lowest photo bottom left.


However, either on the Main Payette or the Boise River, I happened to get poison ivy on my feet.  The signs did not begin to show until Todd and I were up in the Sawtooth Mountains.  At first I thought I was experiencing itch from mosquito bites on my feet while trying to sleep in a warm tent.  It was not until we got home did I realize something else was at play.  My feet were stuck in hot sweaty boots for a few hours each day.  This pushed the poison ivy irritation inward and it went systemic, creeping up my legs and showing up from my toes to my hips.  Benedryl, hydrocortizone cream, and air were used in the week and a half long treatment.  If I was not at work, I wore skirts and no shoes.  Even after it went away, my feet were still torn up and scaly.  Ah, to live in this body.  

No comments: