Thursday, January 26, 2012

Saturday Jan 14




Gotta move on from Laupahoehoe, pretty place but heading south of Hilo today to MacKenzie .  Drove the Pepeekeo scenic drive.  4 miles of amazing tropical jungles with flowing streams.  I enjoyed seeing the lush plants, relatives to the pathetic ones I attempt to keep alive in Idaho. 




 
Reacquainted myself with the presence of rambutans.  yummy, a treat I was exposed to in Australia but have not seen since, even in Mexico.  So upon arriving at the Hilo farmers market, my quest to find rambutans paid off, 3 for a dollar or a bag for 3 dollars.  Also picked up ginger root, garlic, and lemon to fight off this cold that I have been carrying about.  

We met up with the Bruno family again and enjoyed a monsterous cheese burger and Kona Pale Ale at some south end place.  
After the late lunch, Todd and I drove down to MacKenzie State Recreation Area.  It is supposed to be haunted.  We’ll see for our selves.  Todd slept most of the drive.  The park os on a rocky cliff with no beach nor ocean access.  The area is a grove of trees with pine needle understory, no veg.  One awesome feature are collapsed lava tubes that have filled in with vegetation.  One was easy to access and connected via a cave to the other.  The sunset was amazing and the stars were superb.  Todd and I had a brief conversation about what is Romantic, such as in what makes a place “romantic”.  The ability to obtain closeness with one another in a setting.  The Brunos joined us here as their projected camping spot fell through. 

No comments: