Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sunday Jan15

The next morning we all moved out early.  Todd and I went to IsaaccHale Beach Park to shower before heading out in search of lava.  We drove to where we thought one could access lava and it was a strange end of the road hippie tourist trap.  I was feeling super tired so we pulled over in some lava and I napped in the car while Todd read in his chair. 

Todd saw the Brunos again and they told him how to get to the lava.  When my nap was over, we drove out to the lava.  It began to rain while we were viewing the lava,, and boy did it ever begin to rain. I was sopping wet my shoes were squishing.  But this did not deter us from checking out the steaming volcanic formation that covered a town in 1985 and blocked the southern highway. 







After the wet lava walk, we proceeded to Volcanos National Park to see about camping.  Luckily for us it was free weekend at the park and did not have to pay to enter.  Found a spot to camp, at Kulanaokuaiki near the desert.  Set up camp and it began to drizzle rain.  Todd and I crawled in the tent as the rain began to increase.  We both read a little bit and took a nap.  Upon awaking to a wet tent, water was coming up from the floor, rain was coming in from above, we are nearing the point of saturation.  What to do?  We made a plan to exit, I grabbed my sleeping bag jumped out of the tent into a pool of water over 1 foot deep!  We were so drenched by the end of the evacuation, that we drove near naked to Hilo and got a hotel room at Uncle Billy’s.  After laying everything out to dry, taking a hot shower, we ate pasta and opened a great tasting bottle of wine, proceeding to drink the whole darn thing.

No comments: